Sunday 3 September 2017

Proof of Heaven

by Even Alexander

I have to admit - this book was not my favourite. This book is about Eben Alexander, an American neurosurgeon who survived bacterial meningitis and had a Near-Death-Experience, or NDE. As a neurosurgeon, he understands the brain in a different and deeper way than most of us, so the book deals with his disease and the science behind what was happening to him very well. 

The novel also deals with Eben Alexander's experience during a coma, while physically his brain was pretty much in shut down. He writes of his memories of visiting with the divine, and journeying to a realm beyond Earth. I had a hard time getting through this novel - it took me weeks, and for a very short book it should have been finished in days. 

In my opinion, the book was far too heavy on 'heavenly cliches'. While there wasn't a "bright white light", at least, it felt like any other NDE story, and considering Eben Alexander's background, I was hoping for more than that. 
-Cat

The premise of the book is what made me want to read it: a neurosurgeon goes into a week-long coma where the parts of his brain that are responsible for consciousness are pretty much dead has vivid visions of the afterlife and now feels that Heaven is real. Cool premise, based on a true story...

Dude's a better neurosurgeon than author. Like Cat, I should have finished reading this quicker than I did (although I did finish before her 😛). There was a lot of repetition, and I feel like a lot of the terms he used jive a little too closely with other NDE stories, which reduces credibility.

I'm glad I read it, but I think I'll only read this one once.
--Mikie

No comments:

Post a Comment