Wednesday 8 February 2017

Soon I Will Be Invincible

Austin Grossman

This book was a big change from Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom, but not an unwelcome one. The story is told in first-person from the perspectives of Doctor Impossible, villain extraordinaire, and Fatale, a newcomer to the hero scene. It's really interesting to get an inside look at being a supervillain, as well as a new member of an established and storied superhero team.

Of course, I was drawn to Doctor Impossible from the get-go. He is an interesting character, a supervillain who is trying (again) to take over the world. There is something uplifting in his never-say-die attitude, his constant plotting and scheming. Usually, a villain is the reason we have hope, not the cause. It's an important difference. I found myself thinking fondly of Dr. Horrible (if you don't know who that is we can't be friends anymore), and the comparison is a valid one.

I have had my eye on this book since 2009, and I'm so glad I finally got around to reading it. Soon I Will Be Invincible was worth the wait.

--Mikie

This book was super bizarre. I spent a long time wondering where this book was going, and how exactly we would get there. 

I was fascinated by the interactions between the superheroes on the team - rather than being one cohesive unit, they had a lot of personality clashes, and a lot of issues working together, and it was really interesting to read about that kind of a dysfunctional team, rather than a team that (for the most part) worked well together (i.e. Avengers, Justice League). 

The other big draw, for me, was the connections between the superheroes and super-villain (Doctor Impossible), that only Doctor Impossible seemed aware of. They had a shared history that gave their rivalry a different, and more interesting connection. 

This is one that I definitely wouldn't have picked up on my own, but having read it, I really enjoyed it.

--Cat

The next book on our list is In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World, by Virginia Hamilton. 

No comments:

Post a Comment