Wednesday 22 March 2017

The Name of the Star


by Maureen Johnson

I bought this book back in 2011 when it first came out, cause I was SO EXCITED about it. I read a chapter, then got distracted by school reading and never went back to it (despite having had a chance to actually 'meet' Maureen Johnson that same year...). So this year, I decided it needed to be on our list.

The Name of the Star is about a girl who moves from New Orleans to London, and right as she arrives, a Jack the Ripper-style murder occurs, right in the area of town she'll be living in. She, of course, gets swept up in the Ripper-mania that spreads through London, as well as her own new-school, new-life drama.

On top of that, she suddenly has a lot more to worry about when one of the Ripper murders happens on her campus, and she becomes a witness, of sorts.

 I don't want to say too much, so that I don't spoil the novel, but it was a fun read, and it created a whole new world within our own world that we got to explore with Rory!
-Cat

I must say that I'm glad I'm reading this one AFTER completing NaNoWriMo 2K16, because around about that time I also started working on Danielle Was Dead, my ongoing novel about a ghost. It was interesting to me to draw some parallels between the two stories as I read The Name of the Star.

This was one of the books Cat put on the list, and I knew hardly anything about it when I sat down to read it. I wasn't expecting what happened to Rory at all, so that was a pleasant surprise. The book wraps everything up nicely at the end, and though I know there are more in the series, they aren't absolutely necessary in the way that other series are written. Anyway, go read this book, then come back here and leave us a few comments.
--Mikie

No comments:

Post a Comment